Shelburne Town Clerk
||Joseph J. Judd
||Mon & Tues 10am - 5pm
51 Bridge Street, Shelburne, MA 01370
Town Clerk Mission Statement
It is the mission of the office of the Town Clerk to be a primary provider of information and quality services to the community and to work cooperatively and in coordination with the varied departments and groups while performing a myriad of tasks to achieve established goals and comply with state and local statutes.
The Town Clerks primary duty at Town Meeting is to make, and keep, a permanent record of all votes and transactions of the meeting as announced by the Town Moderator. The Town Clerks record is the only offical record of a Town Meeting vote, and it cannot be changed or corrected except by the Town Clerk who originally created the record. After Town Meeting, the Town Clerk is often required to issue a variety of certificates and reports to both town and state officials. The Town Cerk must also prepare and document all Town Meeting actions and proceedings which will be kept in the form of a permanent record.
The Town Clerk serves as the Chief Elections Official in the Town of Shelburne. These responsibilities includes preparation of local, state and federal election ballots, overseas ballots, absentee and early voting ballots, and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the election process, including all election related activities, in the Town of Shelburne
Other responsibilities of the Town Clerk include:
- Records and certifies all actions of the Town Meeting, submits any bylaw or zoning by law amendments to the Attorney General.
- Posts all hearing and meeting notices on Town bulletin board.
- Records and administers Oath of Office and records Appointments and Resignations of all elected and appointed Town Officials.
- Issues raffle/bazaar permits, dog licenses, marriage licenses, certified copies of birth, marriage, death certificates, business certificates D/B/A.
- Conducts the Annual Town Census every January.
- Assists the public with Genealogical research.
- Records Access Officer for Massachusetts Public records law requests in Shelburne.
The Town Clerk is elected each year for a one year term.
All Dogs 6 months or older must be licensed by March 31st each year to avoid a late fine. More information can be found on the Dog Licenses page.