Eversource Rate Increase Anticipated as of January 1, 2022
- Eversource filed their proposed winter Basic Service rates (for western MA) with the DPU yesterday. Please see attached (in red box). They’re even higher than we anticipated. The market has been elevated the last several months and even though Eversource procured 50% of their supply back in May, they still needed to procure the remaining 50% on November 9.
NOTE: Eversource’s current Basic Service Cost Adjustment (BSCA) is $0.00112 (effective 1/1/21). Eversource’s proposed BSCA is $0.00141 (effective 1/1/22). The BSCA is filed separately from the Basic Service rates. If the DPU approves the proposed BSCA in full, these Eversource Basic Service rates will increase slightly.
- Given the above, we’d like to remind everyone how to opt-in to the Town’s Program should they choose to take advantage of the savings the aggregation will offer this winter, as compared to Eversource’s Basic Service. Please feel free to share the information at the end of this email on your Town’s website, on social media or at a Select Board meeting, as appropriate.
- In addition, all Eversource customers who meet certain means criteria can qualify to receive a discount on their electric bills. We know many residents are already signed up to receive this discount but many are not. It’s entirely up to each Town but it may be a good time to refresh everyone’s memory about what’s available so folks can take advantage of the assistance, if appropriate.
Eversource’s application can be found at https://www.eversource.com/content/wma/residential/my-account/billing-payments/help-pay-my-bill/discount-rate
- Lastly, with respect to residents who aren’t enrolled in the Town’s Program but have entered into third-party supply contracts on their own, folks who are on variable rate contracts should be aware that the market is high and competitive suppliers may have no choice but to increase their prices to cover costs. Obviously, every resident is entitled to make their own choice but given how high forward energy prices have climbed and that we’re billed for our electricity after it’s used, we think it’s important information for folks to have.
To join Shelburne’s Program, you can do one of two things:
- Visit colonialpowergroup.com/shelburne and click the OPT-IN button, then fill out and submit the Opt-In Form.
- Call Dynegy at (866) 220-5696 and ask to join the Town of Shelburne’s Program.
For both of the above options, you should have your Eversource bill handy in order to provide some required information. Enrollments can only be processed on meter reads so it may take one or two billing cycles before taking effect. If you are currently contracted with your own competitive supplier, you should confirm with them that you will not incur any early termination fees or penalties for leaving their supply.
Posted: to Town of Shelburne News on Tue, Nov 16, 2021
Updated: Tue, Nov 16, 2021