Technology & Cable Advisory Committee
Meeting Schedule: 1st Wednesday of most months, as needed
No meetings currently scheduled.
4 of 5 seats. 1 years each seat.
- Mike Duffy, Chair. June, 2023.
- Hawley Waldman. June, 2021.
- Craig Miller. June, 2023.
- James Boehmer. June, 2023.
The Technology and Cable Advisory Committee was formed by the Select Board in 2012. In addition to overseeing, monitoring, and negotiating cable TV franchise agreements, the Select Board also charged the committee with expanding Broadband Internet service availability in Shelburne.
At numerous public hearings and meetings, Shelburne residents expressed frustration with the limited available options for high-speed Internet access. DSL service is available within 3 miles of Verizon’s central station in Shelburne Falls, but DSL no longer meets the federal broadband standard of 20 megabits/second. Satellite Internet service is relatively expensive, subject to strict download limits, and is unsuitable for real-time applications due to an inherent latency issue. High speed cellular data service is also unavailable in many parts of town, and can be very expensive if data thresholds are exceeded.
In 2018 our committee worked with Comcast, area legislators, and the Massachusetts Broadband Institute (MBI) to expand Comcast’s network in Shelburne by more than 18 miles, making broadband access available to an additional 213 homes. The Comcast network now covers more than 96% of Shelburne’s homes and businesses at no cost to the town.
The cable network expansion still left some areas of town without adequate broadband access. The 2018 annual Town Meeting approved partial funding to extend Colrain’s planned fiber optic broadband network to areas of Shelburne not served by Comcast’s cable network. That effort was completed in 2022 when Whip City Fiber's network was extended to cover the remaining 4% of unserved areas. We continue to work towards the goal of broadband access for ALL Shelburne residents, including consideration of alternative broadband service options as they become available.
- Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 06:30 PM -- Remote meeting Via Zoom
- Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- Via Zoom Meeting ID 359 058 3442
- Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- Zoom Meeting ID 359 058 3442
- Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 06:30 PM -- Via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3590583442 OR Dial 1-646-558-8656 and enter Meeting ID: 359 058 3442
- Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 06:30 PM -- Via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3590583442 OR Dial 1-646-558-8656 and enter Meeting ID: 359 058 3442
- Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 06:30 PM -- Zoom Meeting ID 359 058 3442
- Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 06:30 PM -- Buckland Town Hall, 17 State Street
- Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 06:30 PM -- 17 State Street, Buckland, MA
- Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 06:30 PM -- Town Hall 51 Bridge Street, Shelburne
- Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 06:30 PM -- Town Hall 51 Bridge Street, Shelburne
- Show 3 More...
Technology & Cable Advisory Committee Meetings
- Technology Cable 2023-02-22 Agenda.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2022-06-22 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2022-06-22 Agenda.pdf
- Technology Cable 2022-03-15 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2022-03-15 Agenda.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2022-03-10 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2022-03-10 agenda.pdf
- Technology Cable 2022-01-05 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2022-01-05 Agenda.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2021-10-28 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2021-10-28 Agenda.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2021-06-09 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2021-06-09 Agenda.pdf
- Technology Cable 2021-03-25 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2021-03-25 Agenda.pdf
- Technology Cable 2020-10-22 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2020-09-24 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2020-02-19 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2019-09-04 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2019-08-07 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2019-08-07 Agenda.doc
- Technology Cable 2019-03-06 Minutes.pdf
- Technology Cable 2018-10-03 Minutes.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2018-10-03 Agenda draft.doc (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2018-05-10 Minutes.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Technology Cable 2018-03-12 Minutes.pdf (View on Calendar)
- Comcast Ascertainment Public Hearing Notice - Buckland Shelburne.docx