Current Recreation Committee Offerings Open to the Public for April to November.
Pickleball at the Cowell Outdoor Courts (outdoors free, indoors in inclement weather $5 gym fee)
Regular schedule (subject to change): Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday mornings, and Monday, Wednesday evenings; lessons available. For times and details on lessons, leagues, and special events go to https://bit.ly/3N3HgNb. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basketball in the Cowell Gym ($5 gym fee)
Tuesday (over 35) at 6:30 pm and Thursday (competitive) at 6:30 pm
Volleyball in the Cowell Gym ($5 gym fee)
Friday 7 to 9 pm
Please go to our Facbook page, Shelburne Recreation Committe and Cowell Gymnasium, for updated information. You can also contact us at email@example.com or (413) 625-0305.
Meeting Schedule: The Recreation Committee generaly meets at 6:30 pm on the second Wednesday of every month at the Cowell Gym. Please see the town calendar for specific meeting dates and agenda.
No meetings currently scheduled.
4 of 5 seats. 5 years each seat.
- Norman Beebe (Elected). June, 2024. Shelburne Falls, MA
- Diana Hardina (Elected). June, 2025. Shelburne Falls, MA
- Mary Lou Gallup (Elected). June, 2026. Shelburne, MA
- Stefan Topolski (Elected). June, 2027. Shelburne Falls, MA
|Cowell Gym Director||Bill Buck|
|Phone||(413) 625-0305 or 413-427-8227|
|FAX||Town office fax (413) 625-0303|
|Address||Cowell Gymnasium: 51 Maple Street, Shelburne Falls MA
Mailing address Town Office, 51 Bridge Street, Shelburne Falls MA 01370
Who we are
The Recreation Committee is an elected body consisting of five members which is responsible for advising the Board of Selectmen of all recreational needs of the town and establishing plans to meet those needs. Each member is elected for a five-year term.
What we do
The Recreation Committee schedules recreational activities for all age groups and oversees the general use and maintenance of the following recreational areas:
- Cowell Gymnasium and tennis courts
- Arms Academy Field
- Little Mohawk Baseball Field
- Playing fields located on the north end of the Buckland-Shelburne Elementary school.
Recreational Sports Opportunities For Kids:
Fall: September - October
West County Soccer:
- Open to kids in the 9 hilltowns
- K-6 grade.
- 6 Saturdays, 1-1 ½ hours at the fields behind the Buckland-Shelburne Elementary School.
- This is a developmental program, to engage kids in learning soccer, exercising, scrimmaging. Registration is free of charge, $10 for a West County Soccer t-shirt.
- Coached by volunteers.
- Contact: Jake Thurber, firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in coaching or having your child join in the fun!
Find West County Soccer on FaceBook!
Winter: December - March
Cowell Gym Youth Basketball program:
- Free drop-in basketball for K-6 grade girls & boys from Shelburne, Buckland and Colrain.
- Run by volunteer parent coaches.
- Practices are held at 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm or 7:00 pm, once a week per age/grade group
- Skills and drills and short scrimmages. Kids are welcome to drop-in anytime throughout the winter. Clean sneakers for the gym are required. Fliers will be sent out in November in school folders plus information is posted on the calendar.
- If interested in learning more or interested in coaching, please contact Diana Hardina (625-9921).
Ice Skating available at 111 Bridge Street when the weather is cold enough,
Spring: April - June
West County Softball (has not run since 2019)
- Grades 2-3 and Grades 4-6.
- Practices and game schedule determined after registrations are collected.
- A flier/registration is sent out in the school folders.
- $25 fee for grades 2 and 3
- $40 fee for grades 4, 5, 6 (Hilltown Girls Softball League)
- Coached by volunteers
- Contact Norman Beebe (625-2904) if you have questions or are interested in coaching.
Shelburne Youth Baseball and T-ball April- June
Information about Baseball and T-ball is not currently available, please check back.
Spring/Summer/Fall: April- October
Basketball, Tennis and Pickleball at the Cowell Gym's outdoor Community Courts.
Walking and Hiking in Shelburne
There are great hiking trails in the town of Shelburne. Download the Shelburne Hiking Trails put together by the Shelburne Open Space Committee for some ideas. Copies can also be found at the town hall or the Shelburne Falls Visitor Center.
Recreational Sports Opportunities For Adults:
- Basketball year round in the Cowell Gymnasium
- Pickleball year round in the Cowell Gymnasium and at the Cowell Outdoor Courts
- Senior Walk Jauary-March in the Cowell Gymnasium
- Volleyball year round in the Cowell Gymnasium
- Wed, May 10, 2023 at 06:30 PM -- ZOOM
- Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 06:30 PM -- ZOOM
- Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- ZOOM via https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82748603980?pwd=RmdJYjg1OTd3RU5PbzN6b05UbFp4Zz09
- Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- via Zoom, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81583727739 or call 929-205-6099
- Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87525070769
- Mon, May 16, 2022 at 06:30 PM -- via Zoom, link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83661245625
- Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 06:00 PM -- via Zoom, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85773366377
- Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- virtual via Zoom
- Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 06:30 PM -- virtual via Zoom, https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89756510721
- Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 06:30 PM
- Show 1 More...