Find

Upcoming Meetings

  1. Senior Center Foundation MeetingThu, Mar 23 01:30 pm
  2. Open Space Committee MeetingMon, Mar 27 07:00 pm

Selectmen Meeting Minutes 
July 30, 2012 -- 7:00 p.m. -- Memorial Hall
.

Call to Order: Chairman, Bob Manners called the meeting to order. Other members present: Joe Judd and John Payne.

Media Present: Chris Collins, Shelburne Falls Independent; Diane Broncaccio, The Recorder

Acceptance of Minutes: John presented a motion to accept the minutes of July 16, 2012. Joe seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.

Noteworthy News:

  • Bridge of Flowers Road Race - August 11, 2012
  • 12th Annual Bridge Dinner - August 19, 2012 @ 5:30 p.m.
  • Arms Library was awarded $4,000 from the National Trust for Historic Preservation for the Pratt Library Building Restoration Development Study Project

Department Liaison Reports:

Police Department - In lieu of the existing winter parking ban, John and Steve are discussing a "winter snow clearing ban" that would be declared by the Highway Superintendent for a specific period. The Town would use a variety of communication methods (telephone messaging, web-site, radio, a flashing light) to notify individuals. Once the ban is declared, parking on streets and in the town-owned parking lots would be prohibited until the ban was lifted. Violators would be subject to towing. Once the proposal is in written format, John will forward to members of the Board.

Highway - Joe recommended postponing Chapter 90 work slated for Patten and Peckville Roads until 2013 to allow the crew to focus efforts on a section of the Colrain-Shelburne and Shelburne Center Roads. Members of the Board were supportive of Joe's recommendation and suggested that the Department also consider sections of Bardwells Ferry and Taylor Road as future projects.
Members of the Cemetery Commission have partnered with Franklin County Community Inmate Program. They have scheduled a "work bee" at the Hill Cemetery. Once the clean-up is underway, the Highway Department will assist with debris removal.

Town Office - Bob has met with individuals of the Town Hall staff on an individual basis. He intends to schedule a staff meeting soon.

Appointments: none

Old Business:

Highway Superintendent Position - Bob has tentatively scheduled a meeting of the Search Committee for August 15th to interview potential candidates. He is waiting to hear from Committee members.

Highway Department RE: Furnace Replacement - members of the Board continue to discuss whether a waste oil furnace or a clean oil furnace is the best option for the Town. Before making a decision, Joe would like each member to review some information that he gathered from other municipalities.

Cowell Gymnasium Mold Remediation Work - Joe is working with Andrea Woods from the FRCOG's Procurement Office to complete the bid specifications. Covino Environmental estimates that the work will cost $10,000 to $30,000. Joe noted that if demolition work is involved, the project would be subject to prevailing wage rates. Before work can begin, the Town must remove all of the contents from the basement level. The Board discussed several options for removal including: placing the items on Craig's list; a giant tag sale; leasing a dumpster; selling as scrap metal; etc. John will continue to explore options. Terry will research M.G.L. relative to the disposal of surplus goods.

Cowell Gymnasium RE: Waterproofing & Drainage Work - The Board awarded the project to Deane Excavating of Bernardston, MA. The contractor is in the process of executing contractor documents and securing the necessary insurance and bid bond. Weston and Sampson will coordinate a pre-construction meeting once the Town receives the required documents.

Cowell Gymnasium RE: Chimney Repair - nothing new to report.

Transfer Station RE: Private/Commercial Haulers - Joe has not had an opportunity to speak with the individual regarding the Board's concerns.

Cowell Gym Director Position - Kimberly Hughes will remain as the Cowell Gym Director for the time being. Members of the Board opted to Passover the Director's appointment at their July 2nd meeting. Given the amount of money the Town is vesting in the building, the Board wants to make sure that the individual serving as Director has the energy and insight to utilize the building to its fullest; once mold remediation work is completed. Both John and Joe have had an opportunity to speak with Kimberly regarding her vision for the Cowell Gymnasium and its programs. Individual members of the Board will also meet with members of the Recreation Committee to obtain more information before appointing the Director's position. Members agreed that this may be an opportune time to look at partnering with Buckland's Recreation Committee.

Memorial Drive Maintenance Agreement - Joe reported that document is a work in progress.

Arms Library RE: Annual Roof Check - Joe will contact Wooliver Roofing to see if they would be willing to assess the Arms Library roof to determine whether any preventative maintenance work needs to be done before winter.

Louis Migliozzi RE: Request to Donate 10+ Acres of Land on Brook Road - The Board will make a site visit on Tuesday, August 7th at 3:00 p.m. Terry will ask Mr. Migliozzi to accompany them.

Senior Center Director Position - The Town received one resume after posting the position internally for a two-week period in the towns of Ashfield, Buckland, and Shelburne. Joe will review the resume with members of the Search Committee and bring forth a recommendation.

New Business:

Development of Recreational Area Along Deerfield River - Joe reported that he met with John Lawless of Mayhew Steel (an abutter to the Town's property) to explore the possibility of bringing to life; the proposal designed by Guntlow & Associates to create a viewing area and recreational trail along the Deerfield River near the glacial potholes. Joe realizes that the project will require courage, vision, and the support of the community to move forward however, if successful the endeavor will showcase and enhance the vibrancy of Shelburne's downtown. Joe asked the Board to think about the concept for a while then he would like to initiate a conversation with Finance Committee members to discuss possible scenarios. Both Bob and John were supportive of Joe's idea. Bob suggested incorporating public restrooms into the plan. John suggested forming a committee to "drive" the plan.

Vacation Policy - in November of last year, the Board began developing changes to the vacation policy. For whatever reason, the Board did not vote to accept the revisions. Joe would like to revisit the proposed changes at the next meeting.

Other Business:

Animal Control - Bob reported that the Town's Animal Control Officer, Ed Grinnell will meet with the Board on August 13th to discuss a reoccurring situation on Route 2 involving loose goats. In addition he will discuss general protocol relative to his duties as the Town's ACO and answer any questions the Board may have.

Correspondence: None

Public Comment:

  • Penny Spearance asked if the Board knew how many residents are affected by the winter parking ban. She suggested that the Board hold a public hearing prior to implementing changes to gather feedback from the community.
  • Penny inquired about the quantity of waste oil collected by the Solid Waste District and wondered whether the oil was available to communities who burn waste oil.
  • Penny inquired about the condition of the furniture at Cowell Gymnasium suggesting that if salvageable, the Town might find a college student who is in need. If the furniture is moldy however, she recommended that the Town dispose of it.

Adjournment: Joe presented a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:40 p.m. John seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry Mosher
Town Administrator