Find

Upcoming Meetings

  1. Senior Center Foundation MeetingThu, Mar 23 01:30 pm
  2. Open Space Committee MeetingMon, Mar 27 07:00 pm

Selectmen Meeting Minutes — March 1, 2010—7:00 p.m. — Memorial Hall.

Call to order: John Payne called the meeting to order. Other members present: Joe Judd and Robert Manners.

Media present: Cameron Graves, Shelburne Falls Independent

Acceptance of Minutes: Bob made a motion to accept the minutes of February 9, 2010 and February 18, 2010 as presented. Joe seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.

Noteworthy News:
Bob announced that he will not be running for State Representative however he is seeking re-election for a third term as a member of the Board of Selectmen.

Special Town Meeting, Monday, March 15, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. in Memorial Hall

Public Forum, Monday, March 15, 2010 at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Hall -- purpose of the forum is to present a financial snapshot of the town over a three-year period, discuss the current needs of the town and to get a sense from the taxpayers where the priorities lie and how to build a budget from there.

Department Liaison Reports:
Highway - Bob thanked residents for their cooperation during the recent snow emergency; noting that Wednesday's storm created treacherous road conditions. John thanked highway personnel for a job well done.

Repairs to the backhoe are complete. Costs for repair; including transport totaled $6,600.
The Mack truck is currently undergoing repair after suffering front-end damage; a result of a large tree limb.

Bob reported that of the $95,869 budgeted for this year's winter snow and ice budget; a balance of $19,764 remains. Expenditures from the snow and ice budget continue through March 31st of each year.

Police -- Joe reported that the department responded to several storm-related calls. He commended the Chief for keeping him apprised of the department's activity on a routine basis.

Town Office -- John reported that preliminary budget related work for fiscal year 2011 is under way. Also, the newly appointed Pratt Memorial Building Committee has met twice and is establishing a list of building needs. Members of the Committee will attend the public forum.

7:15 p.m. Mike Duffy, Chairman Cable Advisory Board RE: Google Request for Information -- Mike reported that members of the joint Buckland and Shelburne Cable Advisory Committee are working diligently to gather information with the hopes of being considered as one of Google's experimental "super-broadband" networks in selected locations throughout the country. Google plans to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks in a small number of trial locations. Internet speeds will be more than 100 times faster than what most people have access to today. Representatives of the Cable Advisory Board are urging residents to attend the March special town meeting to express their support for all broadband initiatives as well as log on to the Google website at: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.html to express their support for the super-broadband network. Application submittal is due March 26, 2010.

7:30 p.m. Richard Warner, Memorial Hall Association, and Daniel Post RE: Energy Efficiency & Conservation Block Grant Award -- the Selectboard received notice on February 17th that Shelburne has been awarded $150,000 for Performance Contracting and Thermal Efficiency enhancements. Since the award may not be sufficient to accomplish all of the energy efficiency measures suggested in the grant applicationthe Board intends to discuss the grant at the March 15th public forum to get a sense from taxpayers; whether to focus on the Town Hall, Memorial Hall and / or the Cowell Gymnasium..

While waiting to receive the contract documents, John recommended that the Board appoint of an "oversight" committee to manage and oversee implementation of the grant. Richard Warner representing Memorial Hall Association indicated that he had reviewed the grant proposal and was happy to see that the funding included the "build-out" and insulation of the theater's interior walls; a wish list project that Memorial hall Association members discussed over a year ago. the Association is concerned about the proposed construction schedule and hopes that they receive ample notice so not to disturb their schedule of events. If renovations are to take place upstairs of Memorial Hall, John suggested that the work take place Monday through Thursday so not to interrupt weekend events.

Following the discussion, Joe made a motion to appoint an oversight committee to manage and oversee the implementation of the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block grant; noting that the Selectboard Chairman shall decide upon the number of committee representatives. Bob seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.

Members of the proposed committee will consist of: John Payne, representing the Selectboard; Terry Mosher, representing the town; Richard Warner, and / or Jessica Murrow representing Memorial Hall Association; Lynn Benander; Dan Post; and a member of the Recreation Committee. John would like to have the Committee report to the Selectboard on a regular basis. He would also expect to have an initial recommendation of priorities by the end of March.

OLD BUSINESS:
Energy Efficiency & Conservation Block Grant Award -- see 7:30 p.m. appointment.

Shelburne's Liquor License Quota -- Terry Mosher asked to clarify the number of Liquor Licenses available in Shelburne. After reviewing the Alcoholic beverages Commissions website, she believes that Shelburne still has sixteen liquor licenses remain divided as follows:

All Alcohol On-Premise -- 10
Wine & Malt Off-Premise - 2
Wine & Malt On-Premise -- 4

NEW BUSINESS:
Deerfield River Watershed Association, Inc. RE: Shelburne Center Road Pull-Off -- Polly Bartlett, Coordinator for the Mahican-Mohawk Trail is seeking permission to use a pull-off area adjacent to the East Cemetery as an official parking area for the Trail. If approved, the Association would post signs providing trail information. Members of the Selectboard agreed that the Watershed Association should first speak with trustees of the East Cemetery as well as abutters to the small pull-off. Joe will contact Polly Bartlett.

Schedule of Afternoon Meetings for Purpose of Budget Review -- members of the Board agreed to meet to review the fiscal year 2011 budget on the following dates: March 9th at 3:00 p.m.; March 17th at 4:00 p.m.; March 23rd at 3:00 p.m. and potentially March 31st at 3:00 p.m. (Meeting dates are subject to change).

Selectmen's Meeting Agenda -- Bob requested that "timeliness of appointments" be discussed amongst Board members following the February 18th meeting when Senior Center Director, Jamie Godfrey exceeded his allotted time. Bob began the conversation by stating that his time is important. He questioned whether changes should be implemented so to prevent individuals from exceeding their appointment times. John indicated that there are times when a presentation requires more time and he does not feel that the process should be "straight-jacketed." Although it is reasonable to expect the individual to arrive on time and stay within the allotted time frame, he believes that there are exceptions. Joe agreed noting that appointment over-runs are a rare occurrence. Joe wondered whether the Board should give the Executive Secretary more guidance when scheduling individuals. Following the brief discussion, everyone agreed to leave the Board's meeting procedures status quo.

CORRESPONDENCE:
Weston & Sampson Pre-Construction Meeting for main Street III and Franklin Street, Buckland -- the pre-construction meeting will take place on Tuesday, March 9th at 10:00 a.m. in Memorial Hall.

M.T.R.H.S. RE: Salary Increases -- the Town has received copies of letters to the Mohawk Trail Regional School District Committee from the towns of Ashfield, Buckland, and Colrain expressing their concerns about the recent announcement of two pay raises for district administrators totaling $18,000. John questioned whether Shelburne should send a letter as well. Joe believes that the opportunity for speaking out has passed. While he agrees that the timing of the increases was wrong, he acknowledged the School Committee Chairman's public apology and felt that it was sufficient. No further action required.

Franklin Regional Retirement System RE: COLA Increases -- the Board received a letter from the Franklin Regional Retirement System indicating that they voted to grant a 3% COLA increase to retirees. While members of the Retirement System understand the concerns of member towns, the increase is limited to the first $12,000 of an individual's income; an overall increase of $360. No further action required.

PUBLIC COMMENT: - Cameron Graves stated that he attended the Selectmen's February 18th meeting and agrees that the Senior Center Director's presentation was too lengthy. He suggested that the Director should have practiced and condensed his presentation prior to his scheduled appointment. He also felt that Bob's hand-made signs indicating time remaining; were warranted.

ADJOURNMENT: Motion made by Joe to adjourn the meeting at 8:43 p.m. Bob seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry Mosher
Executive Secretary